- Ph.D. in Geography (2016) – Penn State University
- Advisor: Dr. Alan M. MacEachren
- Dissertation title: A geovisual analysis of social influence in OpenStreetMap construction
- Extracurricular work: Oxford Internet Institute Summer Doctoral Programme (2015)
- Master of Geographic Information Systems (2009) – Penn State University
- Bachelor of Science in Geographic Information Systems (2005) – Brigham Young University
- Assistant Professor in the Central Washington University Department of Geography (2016-present)
- Instructor in the Penn State University Department of Geography (2009-2016) for the following courses:
- Geog 160: Mapping our Changing World
- Geog 485: GIS Programming and Automation
- Geog 494: Research Project in Geography
- Geog 585: Open Web Mapping
- Geog 863: GIS Mashups for Geospatial Professionals
- Geog 865: Cloud and Server GIS
- Research Assistant for Dr. Anthony C. Robinson (2013-2016)
- GIS Software Product Engineer at Esri, Inc. (2005-2013)
Peer-reviewed journal publications
Quinn, S., and MacEachren, A. (2017). A geovisual analytics exploration of the OpenStreetMap crowd. Cartography and Geographic Information Science, 0(0), 1–16. https://doi.org/10.1080/15230406.2016.1276479 [PDF (Author’s accepted version)]
- Quinn, S. (2016). A Geolinguistic Approach for Comprehending Local Influence in OpenStreetMap. Cartographica, 51(2), 67–83. [PDF (Author’s accepted version)]
- Quinn, S., and Yapa, L. (2016) OpenStreetMap and food security: A case study in the city of Philadelphia, The Professional Geographer, 68(2), 271-280.
- Quinn, S. (2015) Using small cities to understand the crowd behind OpenStreetMap, GeoJournal. doi: 10.1007/s10708-015-9695-6 [PDF (Author’s accepted version)]
- Nelson, J., Quinn, S., Swedberg, B., Chu, W., and MacEachren, A. (2015) Geovisual Analytics Approach to Exploring Public Political Discourse in Twitter, ISPRS International Journal of Geo-Information, 4(1), 337-366.
- Quinn, S., and Gahegan, M. (2010). A predictive model for frequently viewed tiles in a web map. Transactions in GIS, 14(2), 193–216.
Refereed conference papers / abstracts
- Quinn, S., and Robinson, A. C. (2015) Mapping student engagement in a massive open online course (MOOC). Presented at International Cartographic Conference 2015, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
- Quinn, S. (2014). Comparing VGI contributions across political units using geovisual analytics. Presented at GIScience 2014, Vienna, Austria. (Extended abstract)
- Quinn, S. (2014). Open Web Mapping: An educational resource for creating online maps using free and open source software. Presented at FOSS4G 2014 (academic track), Portland, Oregon, USA. [Video of talk]
Honors and awards
- GeoForAll Global Educator of the Year, Individual Category, awarded by OSGeo (2015)
- E. Willard Miller Award, Cartography category, awarded by Penn State Department of Geography (2015)
- Gordon B. Hinckley Presidential Scholarship, four-year full scholarship awarded by Brigham Young University (2000-2005)
- Faculty advisor for Central Washington University Geography Club (2016-present)
- Helped coordinate Penn State Department of Geography graduate student mentoring program for undergraduate research assistants (2014–2015)
- Served as a graduate student representative to faculty in the Penn State Department of Geography (2014-2015) and member of graduate program and curriculum committee (2015-2016)
- Peer-reviewer for multiple reputable journals in the field of geographic information science
For more career details, please download my full CV.